Late Chalcolithic Light-Slipped Chaff-Faced Ware Rim Sherd
|Showing 1 of 1||
Late Chalcolithic Light-Slipped Chaff-Faced Ware Rim SherdLate Chalcolithic
1 9/16 x 2 7/8 x 7/16 in. (4 x 7.3 x 1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2009.14.238
Geography: Asia, Turkey, Tarsus
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Culture/Nationality: Prehistoric Anatolian
Collection: Tarsus Excavation
Findspot: Find Spot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey / Room 98; Date: Meters: 16.05 - 18.00
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Anatolian - Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- Chalcolithic - Refers to the period and culture associated with the transitional phase between the Stone Age and the Bronze Age. It is characterized by the hammering, melting, and casting of copper for ornaments and tools, and is distinguished from Bronze Age technologies in that the copper was typically not or only seldomly combined with tin or other metal in an alloy, and stone tools were used at the same time as metal ones. Chalcolithic cultures developed at different times in different parts of the world, ranging from early sporadic use of copper around 7,000 BCE in the Near East to established use by around 1,900 BCE in Britain.
- Middle Bronze Age - Refers to a phase of the Bronze Age distinguished from the Early and Late Bronze Age cultures by differences in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by metalworking techniques and tool and weapon designs of increasing sophistication, including the utilization of valve molds, cire perdue, sheet work, structural ribs, rivets, and pommels on the end of the hilts of swords.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Late Chalcolithic Light-Slipped Chaff-Faced Ware Rim Sherd".View current selection of records as: