- Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
Late Bronze Age
- Refers to the final stage of Bronze Age cultures, distinguished from the Early and Middle Bronze Age cultures by differences in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by very sophisticated and elaborate metalworking techniques and tool and weapon designs. It is characterized by the development of mass-produced objects, hollow objects, armor, and large objects, such as caldrons and shields.
- Refers to the culture and style that flourished on the Greek mainland and various islands, excluding Crete, in the Late Bronze Age, from around 1600 BCE to around 1100 BCE. The style is known from pottery, sculpture, architecture, metal work, and wall paintings, and from its influence on many contemporary cultures. It is characterized by the combination of earlier Minoan and Middle Helladic motifs with new elements that were invented or are of unknown origin, including stylized plants and elaborate compositions that incorporate lively, naturalistic animals and marine life. In a narrow sense, the term is used to refer specifically to the art and culture of the ancient city of Mycenae. It is also used in reference to places where the Mycenaean language was spoken or the Linear B script has been found.
- Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Click an image to view a larger version
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/174083 |title=Carinated Bowl With Concave Shoulder And Rim Sherd |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=10/24/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 1 of 1
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Carinated Bowl With Concave Shoulder And Rim Sherd".