Middle - Late Corinthian Kotyle (Cup) Foot Fragment
|Showing 1 of 1||
Middle - Late Corinthian Kotyle (Cup) Foot FragmentArchaic
590 BCE - 550 BCE
5/8 in. x 1 3/16 in. x 13/16 in. (1.55 cm x 3 cm x 2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2011.17.312
Geography: Europe, Greece, Corinth
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Skyphoi
Collection: Collection of Doreen Canaday Spitzer
Findspot: Perachora (per inscription on sherd)
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Corinthian - Refers to a pottery style created in the city and region of Corinth in the Peloponnese in south-central Greece, and exported extensively in other parts of Greece, Italy, and Egypt, particularly in the second half of the seventh century BCE and the first half of the sixth century BCE. It is characterized by large vessels and bold decoration arranged in friezes covering most of the surface. Designs are in black-figure on a light terra-cotta background, with red, white, and incised additions. Motifs may have been inspired by Eastern textiles and typically include animals, monsters, or human figures, with ornaments such as dots, leaves, or rosettes scattered over the background.
- Corinthian type skyphoi - Refers to a type of skyphos consisting of a thin-walled cup with delicate handles and a ring foot. The form originated in Corinth.
- feet - Refers to terminal elements on which objects rest and that are small in relation to the body of the object. For relatively massive elements at the bottoms of structures or objects upon which the upper parts are supported, use "bases (components)."
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- skyphoi - A type of drinking vessel in the shape of a deep cup, usually with two horizontal handles attached to the lip and a small integral foot. In all-black or unglossed plain wares the skyphos was the most common type of cup.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Middle - Late Corinthian Kotyle (Cup) Foot Fragment".View current selection of records as: