Kpokpogi (Circular Stool)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Kpokpogi (Circular Stool)19th century - 20th century
5 x 10 x 8.75 in. (12.7 x 25.4 x 22.225 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Guinean - Style and culture of people of the modern nation of Guinée (Republic of Guinea) or of the historical people of the broader region of forest and coastal areas of western Africa between the tropic of Cancer and the equator known also as "Guinea."
- stools - A seat for one person, often without a back. They were the most common type of seat furniture until the 19th century. Distinct from "benches" in that they seat only one person; usually distinguished from "chairs" in that they have no back; however, tall seating pieces at a bar or counter are called stools though they sometimes have backs. Generally made in two types; one supported on four straight legs and the other with legs arranged crosswise.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0176018.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Hamill Gallery of Tribal Art Website." (Accessed April 1, 2020): https://www.hamillgallery.com/index.html. https://www.hamillgallery.com/MALINKE/MalinkeStools/MalinkeStool01.html.
- "musée du quai Branly-Jacque Chirac Online Collection." (Accessed July 20, 2020): musée du quai Branly-Jacque Chirac, http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/explore-collections/. Accession No.: 73.1997.3.1.
- "musée du quai Branly-Jacque Chirac Online Collection." (Accessed July 20, 2020): musée du quai Branly-Jacque Chirac, http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/explore-collections/. Accession No.: 71.1933.40.164.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Kpokpogi (Circular Stool)".View current selection of records as: