Imperial Antoninianus of Rome Issued by Gallienus254-256
13/16 in. x 13/16 in. x 1/16 in. (2.1 cm x 2.06 cm x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: C.952
Geography: Europe, Italy, Rome
Classification: Exchange Media; Coins
Collection: Lien Collection
Findspot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- antoniniani - Designates Roman coins of the 3rd century CE distinguished by a radiate crown on the depiction of the emperor; originally of silver and probably a double denarius, later debased.
- crescents - Motifs consisting of a curved segment of a circle, often suggesting a crescent moon.
- female - Referring to the sex that normally produces eggs or female germ cells.
- Imperial - Refers to the period in history and the style of art that developed when the Roman Republic ceased to exist and Rome expanded its territory and was ruled by emperors. The period is generally considered to begin with Octavian's victory at the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE, and to last through the rule of the Severans. For later emperors, see "Late Antique." For the period and culture of the Holy Roman Empire, use "Holy Roman Imperial." Note that some classifications include the Tetrarchic, Constantinian, and the Holy Roman Empire in the "Roman Empire."
- silver - Pure metallic element having symbol Ag and atomic number 47; a malleable, ductile, white metal with characteristic sheen, considered a precious metal. Silver is widely distributed throughout the world, occurring rarely as metallic silver (in Peru, Norway) but more often as silver-gold alloys and silver ore. Today silver is obtained as a byproduct in the refinement of gold, lead, copper, or zinc ores. Silver was smelted from the ore galena as early as 3800 BCE. As a pure metal, silver is second to gold in malleability and ductility, can be polished to a highly reflective surface, and used -- typically in an alloy -- in jewelry, coinage, photography, mirrors, electrical contacts, and tableware.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAJQJ" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Roman" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is ".View current selection of records as: