|Showing 1 of 1||
Chancay Slit Tapestry Textile Fragment with Human Figure ImageryLate Intermediate Period
1000 - 1450
Cotton and camelid fibers
20 1/16 x 5 5/16 x 1/16 in. (51 x 13.5 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2000.3.17.a
Other Number(s): 69.2.55 (Previous No.)
Geography: South America, Peru, Andes (North Coast)
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Cloth Fragments
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
Chancay, figures*, geometric patterns, Late Intermediate Period*, Peruvian*, slit tapestry*, textiles*
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- geometric patterns
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- slit tapestry - Tapestry weaving technique in which different color weft threads are turned back around adjacent warp ends; slits occur when several rows of adjacent wefts are turned back around the same warp ends.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BALHE" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Peru" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Late Intermediate Period" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Peruvian" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Chancay".View current selection of records as: