Textile Fragment with Geometric DesignLate Intermediate Period-Late Horizon
1000 - 1534
11 7/16 x 1 x 1/8 in. (29 x 2.5 x 0.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- geometric patterns
- Late Horizon - The seventh of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 1476-1534 CE, during which the Inca established an empire controlled from Cuzco, which eventually reached from central Chile to southern Colombia. The period ends in 1534, the year marking the fall of the Inca empire after the Spanish conquest.
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- tapestry - Refers to the process used to create tapestries, which are heavy, woven textiles characterized by ornamental or pictorial designs and used as wall hangings, curtains, upholstery, or to hang from windows or balconies. The process is performed on a tapestry loom and differs from cloth-weaving in that the weft travels only to the warp at the edge of a particular color or pattern in the design, rather traveling from edge to edge of the entire piece of fabric. Various techniques are used in mixing and overlaying colors to create shading and patterns. Details of the design are often painted or embroidered.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
- zoomorphic - Representing or imitating animal forms, as in decorative art or symbolism.
Textile Fragment with Geometric Design
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BALHE" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Peru" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Late Intermediate Period-Late Horizon".View current selection of records as: