|Showing 1 of 1||
Lance or Spearhead19th century - 20th century
Wood and metal
18 1/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. x 2 15/16 in. (46 cm x 6 cm x 7.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.3.119
Other Number(s): 100 (224) (Neufeld Collection Number)
224 (Sotheby's Lot Number)
Geography: Africa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Weapons; Edged Armaments
Culture/Nationality: Pende, Congolese, Central African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- Pende - Refers to works created by the African people of the same name living in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- spearheads - The sharp-pointed heads of spears.
- spears - Simple staff weapons having a sharp-pointed head and no auxiliary blades or points, used both in warfare and hunting since ancient times in many cultures and regions. Various forms have been designed for thrusting or throwing or both.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/17/1997
Owner Name: Martial Bronsin
Role: Previous Owner
Place: Brussels Belgium
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 224
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0039054.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Art and Life in Africa: Peoples." (Accessed May 11, 2020): https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/peoples/. https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/peoples/show/Pende.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BATYW" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Pende".View current selection of records as: