Necklace Pendant19th century - 20th century
Woven, sewn, and beaded cloth with glass and fiber
4 in. x 7 3/4 in. (10.16 cm x 19.69 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.27
Other Number(s): 83-47D (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, South Africa
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Adornments
Culture/Nationality: Northern Nguni (Zulu), South African, Southern African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- necklaces - Ornaments worn around the neck, usually in the form of chains or strands of beads, pearls, stones, or decorative or precious materials, and often including a suspended ornamental pendant. Use "chokers" for short, narrow necklaces worn close to the throat. Use "dog collars (necklaces)" for wide ornamental bands worn tightly around the neck.
- South African - Style and culture of the people of South Africa.
- Journeys Through African Womanhood Bryn Mawr College , Feb 14, 2003 – Mar 28, 2003
- African and Pacific Art from the Neufeld Collection Bryn Mawr College , Apr 28, 1993 – Jun 1, 1993
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Angela Fisher, Africa Adorned (London, England: Collins Harvill, 1989), 100. Figure Number: 2
- John Pemberton, III, African Beaded Art: Power and Adornment (Northhampton, MA: Smith College Museum of Art, 2008), 161. Figure Number: 86
- "The British Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 17, 2020): https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection. Accession No.: Af1922,1107.1.
- "The British Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 17, 2020): https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection. Accession No.: Af1954,+23.184.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAULV".View current selection of records as: