Pair of Ashanti Figures19th century - 20th century
6.299 x 5.906 x 2 3/16 in. (16 x 15 x 5.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Asante - The culture and style of people of south-central Ghana and adjacent areas of Togo and Côte d'Ivoire.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Ghanaian - Style and culture of the people of the nation of Ghana.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Male and Female: Couples in African Art Los Angeles County Museum of Art , Mar 23, 1983 – Oct 2, 1983
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 94
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0051381.
Herbert M. Cole,
Male and Female: The Couple in African Sculpture
Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
Page Number: 28, Figure Number: 29
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0051380.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAWSU" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Asante".View current selection of records as: