Dan Miniature Mask (Passport Mask)19th century - 20th century
Carved wood and copper
6 1/2 in. x 4 in. (16.51 cm x 10.16 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.6.8
Other Number(s): P34 (Plass Number)
Geography: Africa, Côte d'Ivoire or Liberia
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Dan, Liberian or Ivorian, West African, African
Collection: Plass Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 2, Figure Number: 34
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Tom Phillips, ed. Africa: The Art of a Continent (Munich; London; New York: Prestel Verlag and Royal Academy of Arts, 1999), 460-463.
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1979.206.312.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAYFY".View current selection of records as: