Igbo Male Figure19th century - 20th century
Carved wood with pigment, beads, and string
43 x 11.5 in. (109.22 x 29.21 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.59
Other Number(s): 84-9 (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, Nigeria
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Igbo, Nigerian, West African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beads - Refers to small objects, of any shape or material, pierced so that they may be strung or hung or attached, as by sewing.
- Igbo Laja
- male - Referring to the sex that in reproduction normally produces sperm cells or male gametes.
- necklaces - Ornaments worn around the neck, usually in the form of chains or strands of beads, pearls, stones, or decorative or precious materials, and often including a suspended ornamental pendant. Use "chokers" for short, narrow necklaces worn close to the throat. Use "dog collars (necklaces)" for wide ornamental bands worn tightly around the neck.
- scarifications - Refers to permanent marks, such as symbols, patterns, or other designs, made on human skin by scarring, done for social or cultural reasons or for personal decoration.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 07/18/1991
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The Brooklyn Museum Online Collection." The Brooklyn Museum Online Collections Database. (Accessed April 9, 2020): Brooklyn Museum, https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/collections. Accession No.: 1993.179.1.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Monica Blackmun Visona and Robin Poynor. A History of Art in Africa (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc., 2001), 291-293.
- Herbert M. Cole and Chike C. Aniakor. Igbo Arts : Community and Cosmos (Los Angeles, CA: Museum of Cultural History, University of California, 1984), 87-100.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBADO".View current selection of records as: