unknown Kuba (Congolese)
Ilondo (Sword) from Kuba Judge's RegaliaLate 19th century - early 20th century
24 1/2 in. x 4 1/2 in. (62.23 cm x 11.43 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Central African - Nationality, styles, and culture of the people of the nation of the République centrafricaine.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Kuba - Describes works created by the African people of the same name living in the central Democratic Republic of Congo.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- swords - Edged weapons consisting basically of a blade, generally longer than that of daggers or knives, and a grip; designed for delivering cutting or thrusting blows or both.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- Highlights from the Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Donation of African Art Bryn Mawr College , Sep 1, 1998 – Dec 1, 1998
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 238d
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0025417.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0025414.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. 158, Figure Number: 286.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Joseph Cornet, "The Itul Celebration of the Kuba." African Arts 13, no. 3 (May 1980): 28-33, 92.
- Werner Fischer and Manfred A. Zirngibl. African Weapons: Knives, Daggers, Swords, Axes, Throwing Knives (Passau: Prinz-Verlag, 1978), 148, 148. Figure Number: 286
- Joseph Cornet, Art Royal Kuba (Milano: Edizioni Sipiel, 1982), 302-303. Figure Number: 342
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBBQA".View current selection of records as: