Neckpiece with Tabs19th century - 20th century
Beaded and sewn plant material (?) with glass and metal
15 in. x 1 in. (38.1 cm x 2.54 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.79
Other Number(s): 84-47 (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, South Africa
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Adornments
Culture/Nationality: Northern Nguni (Zulu), South African, Southern African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- necklaces - Ornaments worn around the neck, usually in the form of chains or strands of beads, pearls, stones, or decorative or precious materials, and often including a suspended ornamental pendant. Use "chokers" for short, narrow necklaces worn close to the throat. Use "dog collars (necklaces)" for wide ornamental bands worn tightly around the neck.
- South African - Style and culture of the people of South Africa.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Journeys Through African Womanhood Bryn Mawr College , Feb 14, 2003 – Mar 28, 2003
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- John Pemberton, III, African Beaded Art: Power and Adornment (Northhampton, MA: Smith College Museum of Art, 2008), 193. Figure Number: 124-125
- John Pemberton, III, African Beaded Art: Power and Adornment (Northhampton, MA: Smith College Museum of Art, 2008), 156. Figure Number: 81
- "The British Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 17, 2020): https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection. Accession No.: Af1947,07.64.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- John Gillow, African Textiles: Color and Creativity Across a Continent (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 2016), 216-220.
- John Pemberton, III, African Beaded Art: Power and Adornment (Northhampton, MA: Smith College Museum of Art, 2008), 192.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBGID".View current selection of records as: