Cache-sexe19th century - 20th century
Woven, sewn, and beaded fiber thread with glass and metal
3.25 x 34 x 1 in. (8.255 x 86.36 x 2.54 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.36
Other Number(s): 84-44A (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, South Africa
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Clothing
Culture/Nationality: Northern Nguni (Zulu), South African, Southern African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- cache-sexe - Main garments worn by women, primarily in Africa, to cover the genitals, often consisting of pendant elements made of metal or vegetal matter that hang from a cord tied around the waist or hips; may also be made of cloth and some element may pass between the legs.
- South African - Style and culture of the people of South Africa.
- Southern African - Styles and cultures originating in the southernmost region of the African continent, comprising the modern countries of Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. The island nation of Madagascar is excluded because of its distinct language and cultural heritage.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Journeys Through African Womanhood Bryn Mawr College , Feb 14, 2003 – Mar 28, 2003
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0117106.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- John Gillow, African Textiles: Color and Creativity Across a Continent (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 2016), 216-220.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBGID".View current selection of records as: