Terracotta Pig (?) HeadAksum
800 BCE-200 BCE
3 9/16 in. x 3 3/4 in. x 3 15/16 in. (9 cm x 9.5 cm x 10 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.6.24
Geography: Africa, Ethiopia, North of Lake Tana (Axum; Aksum Kingdom)
Culture/Nationality: Falasha, Ethiopian, East African, African
Collection: Plass Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Aksumite - Use both for the Ethiopian period and to describe its material cultural remains having traits that developed around 700 BCE, but more specifically attributed to the era between the first century BCE and around 1000 CE.
- East African - Styles and cultures of the eastern area of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, that together with the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia) make up Eastern Africa.
- figurines - Three-dimensional works that represent humans, animals, or mythical beasts at less than half life-size. While the term may be used interchangeably with "statuette" in certain situations, it differs in that a statuette is always free-standing while a figurine may be part of a larger work, such as a decorative detail on a candelabra or mirror.
- terracotta - A baked or semi-fired material that is usually a mixture of clay, grog, and water; it has been used for pottery, statuettes, lamps, roof tiles, and cornices since ancient times. It may be glazed prior to firing. To produce an item, terracotta is molded or shaped, dried for several days then fired to at least 600 C. It is fireproof, lighter in weight than stone, and usually brownish red in color.
- terracottas - Sculptural works, vessels, or structural forms made from terracotta, a fairly coarse, porous clay product that when fired typically assumes a reddish or orange brown color, and often is left unglazed. When possible, for indexing use a more specific term, created locally by combining the material term plus a more specific object name, such as "terracotta" + "figurines."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Enid Cook Center Grand Opening Exhibition Matt Feliz , Aug 21, 2015 – Dec 20, 2015
- Selected Works of Art, Archaeology, Ethnography and Decorative Arts from the College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Feb 20, 2002 – Feb 24, 2002
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Gina Siesing, "From the Director," Mirabile Dictu: The Bryn Mawr College Library Newsletter 18 (Fall 2015): 3.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0180112.
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 1, Figure Number: 14b
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. https://www.artkhade.com/en/object/008023/fgGLZM/a-falasha-head-axum-kingdom-ethiopia?search=%2Fen%2Fsearch%3Fl%3D0%2B50%26q%3Dcollection-747%2Bregion-140%26ob%3Dlatest_sale_date&r=, Figure Number: LQY-008023.
- "Artkhade: The Auctions Database of Ancient Arts from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas." (Accessed April 23, 2020): https://www.artkhade.com/en. https://www.artkhade.com/en/object/008022/C4TI8n/a-falasha-head-axum-kingdom-ethiopia?search=%2Fen%2Fsearch%3Fl%3D0%2B50%26q%3Dcollection-747%2Bregion-140%26ob%3Dlatest_sale_date&r=, Figure Number: DAJ-008022.
- "Lempertz." (Accessed June 10, 2020): https://www.lempertz.com/en/auctions.html. https://www.lempertz.com/en/catalogues/lot/1081-1/47-falasha-terracotta-head.html, Figure Number: Auction 1081, African and Oceanic Art, 05.04.2017 - 14:00, Brussels Lot 47.
- "The Minneapolis Institute of Art." Minneapolis Institute of Art. (Accessed June 10, 2020): Minneapolis Institute of Art, ArtsMIA.org. Accession No.: 99.2.23.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBHUC".View current selection of records as: