|Showing 1 of 1||
Spout and Handle Vessel in the Form of an OwlEarly Intermediate Period
ca. 200 CE - ca. 700 CE
6 9/16 in. x 3 1/8 in. x 6 5/16 in. (16.7 cm x 8 cm x 16 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- Early Intermediate Period - The fourth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 200-600 CE.
- Mochica - Style and culture that flourished in northern Peru ca. 100-800 CE, having a capital near present-day Moche and Trujillo.
- South American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of South America, which is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, Central America, and the Antarctic region.
- Strigiformes - Order containing around 180 species in two families of nocturnal raptorial birds with hooked beaks, strong talons, and soft plumage. All owls have the same general appearance, which is characterized by a flat face, small hooked beak, short tail, round wings, and large, forward-facing eyes. The bird became associated with Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom and also owls became symbolic of intelligence because it was thought that they could forsee events. Also, because of their nocturnal existence and hooting sounds, owls have also been symbols associated with the occult. In the Middle Ages, the owl became a symbol of the darkness before the coming of Christ.
- Enid Cook Center Grand Opening Exhibition , Aug 21, 2015 – Dec 20, 2015
- Conservation: A Permanent Part of a Permanent Collection Bryn Mawr College , Sep 1, 2012 – Dec 1, 2012
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBLAQ" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Vessels" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Early Intermediate Period".View current selection of records as: