Gourd, metal pin, lacquered wood, and leather
10 9/16 in. x 4 1/2 in. (diameter) (26.75 cm x 11.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 91.E1.37
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Musical Instruments & Sound-making Implements
Culture/Nationality: Pueblo, Native American
Collection: Nahm Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
gourds*, leather*, Native American*, North American*, Pueblo, rattles*, Southwestern Native American*, wood*
- gourds - The hard-shelled fruits of any of various plants of the Cucurbitaceae family.
- leather - The skin or hide of an animal that has been tanned to render it resistant to putrefication and relatively soft and flexible when dry. For composite material made from scrap leather pieces, use "maril."
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- rattles - Shaken idiophones made in a variety of forms worldwide, in which one or more objects strike against each other or against the inside or outside of another object.
- Southwestern Native American - Styles and cultures Southwestern Native America.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBSRY".View current selection of records as: