Native American (1887 - 1980) Primary
30 in. (Circ.) x 8 1/16 in. x 2 15/16 in. (76.2 cm x 20.4 cm x 7.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 72.1.14
Other Number(s): 95.1.4 (Previous No.)
Geography: North and Central America, United States, New Mexico
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Culture/Nationality: Pueblo, San Ildefonso, Native American
Collection: Twyeffort Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
bowls*, bowls*, coiling*, Native American*, Pueblo, San Ildefonso, Southwestern Native American*, vessels*
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- coiling - Pottery technique in which the piece is built up from ropelike coils of clay, without the use of a potter's wheel.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- San Ildefonso
- Southwestern Native American - Styles and cultures Southwestern Native America.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Silver: Reflecting the Ages Bryn Mawr College , Sep 27, 2002 – Dec 27, 2002
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBSUM".View current selection of records as: