2 1/4 in. x 3 1/4 in. (diameter) (5.72 cm x 8.26 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: TN.55
Other Number(s): K.19 (Previous No.)
Geography: Asia, North Korea or South Korea
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Cups
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- celadon - Refers to the various gray-green colored, iron-containing ceramic glazes that are applied to Asian stoneware. They were developed in the third century BCE and its use flourished during the Sung Dynasty, valued for its resemblance to jade.
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- Korean - Culture and style of peoples from the East Asian peninsula of Korea.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
- Yi - Period and culture of the Korean dynasty that ruled the Korean peninsula from 1392 to 1910, founded by Yi Sŏng-gye, posthumously known as King T’aejo (reiged 1392-1398). It is characterized by the establishment of Neo-Confucianism as the official ideology, encouragement of a modest and practical lifestyle, and abandonment of patronage for more extravagant art.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBZZT" and [Object]Century is "15th century".View current selection of records as: