Figure of Kuan YinLate 19th century - early 20th century
2 3/4 in. x 1 in. x 1 in. (6.99 cm x 2.54 cm x 2.54 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- bodhisattvas - Superhuman beings of infinite wisdom and compassion; Buddhist saints who, having only one birth to undergo before attaining Nirvana, consent to be reborn for the sake of suffering mankind. In Mahayana Buddhism, the spiritual ideal. In Theravada Buddhism, the term is exclusively used to identify historical Buddhas in their previous lives.
- celadon - Refers to the various gray-green colored, iron-containing ceramic glazes that are applied to Asian stoneware. They were developed in the third century BCE and its use flourished during the Sung Dynasty, valued for its resemblance to jade.
- Korean - Culture and style of peoples from the East Asian peninsula of Korea.
- sculpture - Three-dimensional works of art in which images and forms are produced in relief, in intaglio, or in the round. The term refers particularly to art works created by carving or engraving a hard material, by molding or casting a malleable material (which usually then hardens), or by assembling parts to create a three-dimensional object. It is typically used to refer to large or medium-sized objects made of stone, wood, bronze, or another metal. Small objects are typically referred to as "carvings" or another appropriate term. "Sculpture" refers to works that represent tangible beings, objects, or groups of objects, or are abstract works that have defined edges and boundaries and can be measured. As three-dimensional works become more diffused in space or time, or less tangible, use appropriate specific terms, such as "mail art" or "environmental art."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBZZT" and [Object]Country of Creation is "North Korea or South Korea" and [Object]Century is "19th century, 20th century".View current selection of records as: