Porcelain with underglaze blue decoration
3 5/8 in. x 3 3/4 in. (diameter) (9.21 cm x 9.53 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 13.48
Geography: Asia, North Korea or South Korea
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Vases
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
Asian*, Korean*, porcelain*, vases*, Yi*
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Korean - Culture and style of peoples from the East Asian peninsula of Korea.
- porcelain - A material comprising white clay, or "kaolin," and a feldspathic rock, that react when fired so the clay serves to hold the shape of the object and the rock fuses into a natural glass. In China, it includes any such ware that is highly fired enough to produce a ringing sound when struck. In Europe, it is limited to hard-fired ceramic that is translucent.
- vases - Vessels of varying shape and size but which are usually taller than they are wide, varying greatly in actual form and use. In modern usage, typically refers to vessels for displaying flowers. When referring to ancient art, often refers to any ceramic or metal vessel in a range of shapes and used to hold liquids, grain, or another substance.
- Yi - Period and culture of the Korean dynasty that ruled the Korean peninsula from 1392 to 1910, founded by Yi Sŏng-gye, posthumously known as King T’aejo (reiged 1392-1398). It is characterized by the establishment of Neo-Confucianism as the official ideology, encouragement of a modest and practical lifestyle, and abandonment of patronage for more extravagant art.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBZZT" and [Object]Country of Creation is "North Korea or South Korea".View current selection of records as: