11th century - 12th century
Celadon ware with incised decoration
3 in. x 6 3/4 in. (diameter) (7.62 cm x 17.15 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: TN.47
Geography: Asia, North Korea or South Korea
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- celadon - Refers to the various gray-green colored, iron-containing ceramic glazes that are applied to Asian stoneware. They were developed in the third century BCE and its use flourished during the Sung Dynasty, valued for its resemblance to jade.
- incising - The process and technique of producing, forming, or tracing a pattern, text, or other usually linear motif by cutting, carving, or engraving.
- Korean - Culture and style of peoples from the East Asian peninsula of Korea.
- Koryŏ - Refers to the period that coincided with the rule of Koryo Dynasty in Korea, from 918-1391 CE. The dynasty's close ties with China during the Sung period (908-1279 CE, resulted in direct influences from Chinese culture. Most artifacts that have remained from this period include bronze temple bells, Buddhist sutras copied by monks in gold and silver on purple paper, and wood block engravings. The period is also known for its major acheivement in porcelain with a celeadon glaze, found buried along with the dead in tombs.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBZZT" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Koryo".View current selection of records as: