12th century - 13th century
Celadon ware with incised decoration
5 3/4 in. x 6 in. (diameter) (14.61 cm x 15.24 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 7.48
Other Number(s): K.31 (Previous No.)
Geography: Asia, North Korea or South Korea
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Food Processing, Preparation, & Service
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- celadon - Refers to the various gray-green colored, iron-containing ceramic glazes that are applied to Asian stoneware. They were developed in the third century BCE and its use flourished during the Sung Dynasty, valued for its resemblance to jade.
- Korean - Culture and style of peoples from the East Asian peninsula of Korea.
- Koryŏ - Refers to the period that coincided with the rule of Koryo Dynasty in Korea, from 918-1391 CE. The dynasty's close ties with China during the Sung period (908-1279 CE, resulted in direct influences from Chinese culture. Most artifacts that have remained from this period include bronze temple bells, Buddhist sutras copied by monks in gold and silver on purple paper, and wood block engravings. The period is also known for its major acheivement in porcelain with a celeadon glaze, found buried along with the dead in tombs.
- teapots - Covered vessels for brewing and serving tea, usually with one spout, which is often long and gracefully curved, and, on the opposite side of the vessel, one handle, and sometimes small feet. Distinguished from "teakettles" which usually have a short pouring spout, a bail handle, and a broad, flat bottom, and are used for heating water from which tea is made.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Apr 23, 2002 – May 20, 2002
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBZZT" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Koryo".View current selection of records as: