|Showing 1 of 1||
Buddha Seated on a LotusPaekche
57 BCE - 668 CE
3 1/4 in. x 2 in. x 1 5/8 in. (8.26 cm x 5.08 cm x 4.13 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 23.48
Geography: Asia, China
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Sculptures; Terracottas
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Buddhas - Representations in any medium of Gautama Buddha.
- Korean - Culture and style of peoples from the East Asian peninsula of Korea.
- sculpture - Three-dimensional works of art in which images and forms are produced in relief, in intaglio, or in the round. The term refers particularly to art works created by carving or engraving a hard material, by molding or casting a malleable material (which usually then hardens), or by assembling parts to create a three-dimensional object. It is typically used to refer to large or medium-sized objects made of stone, wood, bronze, or another metal. Small objects are typically referred to as "carvings" or another appropriate term. "Sculpture" refers to works that represent tangible beings, objects, or groups of objects, or are abstract works that have defined edges and boundaries and can be measured. As three-dimensional works become more diffused in space or time, or less tangible, use appropriate specific terms, such as "mail art" or "environmental art."
- terracotta - A baked or semi-fired material that is usually a mixture of clay, grog, and water; it has been used for pottery, statuettes, lamps, roof tiles, and cornices since ancient times. It may be glazed prior to firing. To produce an item, terracotta is molded or shaped, dried for several days then fired to at least 600 C. It is fireproof, lighter in weight than stone, and usually brownish red in color.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BBZZT" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Paekche".View current selection of records as: