Early Minoan III Handle FragmentEarly Minoan III
ca. 2300 BCE - ca. 2000 BCE
3 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 1/2 in. (8.9 x 5.7 x 1.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Early Bronze Age - Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Early Minoan - Refers to the earliest phase of Minoan art and culture, according to the classification system devised by the archaeologist, Arthur Evans. It is characterized by the introduction of metal from Asia Minor, distinctive sculpture, and pottery, including hand-made clay pots decorated with incised geometric patterns and others that are apparently inspired by Egyptian pieces of the First to Fourth Dynasties. It overlaps with the Prepalatial period in the alternate classification scheme of Nikolas Platon.
- handles - Those portions of, or attachments to, objects that are designed to be grasped by the hand.
- Minoan - Refers to the period and style associated with the Greek Bronze Age civilization on the island of Crete from around 3,500 BCE to around 1,050 BCE, as distinct from contemporary cultures on the Greek Mainland, known as "Helladic," and on the other islands, known as "Cycladic." Minoan art and culture spread in the Aegean region, and thus existed in locations outside Crete. It is characterized by innovations and a grand scale in city and palace design, extensive use of writing, and a distinctive sophistication in art, including elaborate seals, pottery, frescoes, and sculpture.
- maximum length Dimensions: 3 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 1/2 in. (8.9 x 5.715 x 1.27 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCESY" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece".View current selection of records as: