Handle FragmentLate Geometric-Archaic
1 1/4 in. x 3.3. cm x 1/4 in. (3.1 cm x 0.6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Ancient Greek - Refers to the culture and styles of ancient Greece, generally excluding modern and prehistoric periods, but including periods between around 900 BCE to around 31 BCE. For the culture of Greece in general, including modern Greece, see "Greek."
- Archaic - Refers to the pottery style found in Persia around 6000 BCE. The style is characterized by fine, plain buff pottery tempered with straw that is sometimes decorated with simple red or orange painted designs.
- Geometric - Refers to a period, culture, and style that developed first in Attica, but was eventually found throughout Greece, in Italy, and in the Levant. It is generally held to have occurred from around 900 BCE to around 700 BCE, though some classification schemes omit the Protogeometric period and begin the Geometric period at 1100 BCE. In pottery it is characterized by dark-on-light decorations arranged in regularly spaced horizontal bands, and differs from Protogeometric style in that the designs are busier and the bands cover nearly the entire vessel. Designs include zigzags, triangles, meanders, swastikas, and distinctive stylized, angular human and animal figures. Similar designs and figural types were used in sculpture and other arts.
- handles - Those portions of, or attachments to, objects that are designed to be grasped by the hand.
- Late Geometric - Refers to the most advanced phase of Geometric style, dating to the mid- and late eighth century BCE and appearing across a wide geographical area. It varied significantly in different locations, but in general it is characterized in vase painting by a sophistication in the representation of figures and animals, including the portrayal of recognizable mythological figures and narrative scenes. Sculpture from this period depicts a wide variety of animals and human figures that are stylized, but more naturalistic than in earlier art.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCFAT" and [Object]Country of Creation is ".View current selection of records as: