Early Corinthian Conical Oinochoe Base SherdEarly Corinthian
ca. 625 BCE-600 BCE
7/8 x 1 1/16 x 3/16 in. (2.2 x 2.7 x 0.4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Corinthian - Refers to a pottery style created in the city and region of Corinth in the Peloponnese in south-central Greece, and exported extensively in other parts of Greece, Italy, and Egypt, particularly in the second half of the seventh century BCE and the first half of the sixth century BCE. It is characterized by large vessels and bold decoration arranged in friezes covering most of the surface. Designs are in black-figure on a light terra-cotta background, with red, white, and incised additions. Motifs may have been inspired by Eastern textiles and typically include animals, monsters, or human figures, with ornaments such as dots, leaves, or rosettes scattered over the background.
- Early Corinthian - Refers to the early phase of Corinthian pottery style, dating from around 625 BCE to around 600 BCE. It is characterized by a strong, incisive drawing of designs and a continuation of animal themes used in Proto-Corinthian pottery, but with the widespread addition of decorative elements between figures, usually distinctive rosettes with incised crosses in the petals.
- oinochoai - Ancient Greek one-handled vessels used for ladling and pouring wine or water; made in a variety of jug- and pitcherlike forms.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCFTP" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Early Corinthian".View current selection of records as: