Late Corinthian Miniature Kotyle/Skyphos (Cup)Archaic-Classical
ca. 550 BCE - 400 BCE
diameter without handles
9/16 x 1 1/16 x 3/32 in. (1.4 x 2.7 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.58
Geography: Europe, Greece
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Votive Objects
Collection: Agnes Newhall Stillwell Collection
Findspot: From Potters' Quarter at Corinth (per catalogue card).
This object has the following keywords:
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- Late Corinthian - Refers to the late phase of Corinthian pottery style, dating from around 575 BCE to around 425 BCE, after which Corinth was no longer a major exporter of pottery. It is characterized by continued mass production and repetitive designs with little detail, as well as innovative work created with apparent care. Painting on these vessels typically includes elaborate ornaments arranged in formal patterns, a lively animation of design, and animals with attenuated proportions. During this phase animal scenes were gradually replaced by more scenes of human figures.
- miniatures - Object genre including various types of things that are a smaller or reduced version of an original, such as a likeness or representation on a small scale or a small-scale model.
- skyphoi - A type of drinking vessel in the shape of a deep cup, usually with two horizontal handles attached to the lip and a small integral foot. In all-black or unglossed plain wares the skyphos was the most common type of cup.
- votive offerings - Objects or monuments donated by an individual for a public place or shrine, especially in gratitude for deliverance from distress. For those that are, or contain, images, use "ex-votos."
- diameter without handles Dimensions: 9/16 x 1 1/16 x 3/32 in. (1.4 x 2.699 x 0.238 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCFUZ".View current selection of records as: