American (1844 - 1926) Primary
Drypoint and soft-ground etching
State: Sixth state
14 1/4 in. x 10 9/16 in. (36.2 cm x 26.83 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1949.11
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
aquatints*, children*, drypoints*, families*, genre, mothers*, North American*, soft-ground etchings*
- aquatints - Prints produced from designs created by the aquatint process, by which a printing plate is covered with a coating and etched with acid so as to create a range of tonal values, often combined with line work. The resulting print resembling a watercolor.
- children - People in the earliest developmental stage of life.
- drypoints - Prints made using the drypoint process, whereby a sharp needle scratches the plate creating a burr.
- families - Groups of individuals related by blood, marriage, adoption, or cohabitation.
- mothers - Women who have children, either biologically or by adoption.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- soft-ground etchings - Prints made using the process of soft-ground etching.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Worlds to Discover: 125 Years of Collections at Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Sep 24, 2010 – May 28, 2011
- Mary Cassatt printmaker Lebanon Valley College , Mar 8, 2001 – Apr 14, 2001
- A Picture of Mary Cassatt: Prints from the Bryn Mawr College Collection Kelly McCullough , Mar 17, 2000 – Mar 20, 2000
- Mary Cassatt and Philadelphia Philadelphia Museum of Art , Feb 17, 1985 – Apr 14, 1985
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Clarence Burton Sheffield, Jr.
and Leo G. Mazow.
Mary Cassatt printmaker
Lebanon Valley College.
Annville, PA, 2001
Page Number: 22-23
- Mary Leahy, "Mary Cassatt: Her Color Prints at Bryn Mawr." Bryn Mawr Now 9, No. 2 (November 1981): 1, 6-7.
Suzanne G. Lindsay,
Mary Cassatt and Philadelphia
Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1985
Page Number: 87, Figure Number: 48
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Adelyn Dohme Breeskin, Mary Cassatt: A Catalogue Raisonné of the Graphic Work (Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979), 64, 146. Figure Number: 150
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Afternoon Tea Party
In the Omnibus, or The Tramway
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCWXM".View current selection of records as: