Meteghlluwaaghet or Kuvaaghaan (Bird Shaped Game Piece)19th century
Greatest Preserved Dimensions
0.688 x 0.563 x 1.25 in. (1.746 x 1.429 x 3.175 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2019.33.35
Other Number(s): Inuit_Ivory.35 (Temporary Number)
Geography: North and Central America, Canada or United States
Classification: Toys and Games; Games
Culture/Nationality: Thule, Arctic, Alaskan, North American
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- game pieces - The objects, usually small and of hard durable materials, manipulated directly by participants during the play of card, table, and board games.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- Western Thule
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- Greatest Preserved Dimensions Dimensions: 0.688 x 0.563 x 1.25 in. (1.746 x 1.429 x 3.175 cm)
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Eskimo Art." (Accessed August 17, 2020): Eskimo Art, http://eskimo-art.org/site/. https://alaska.si.edu/record.asp?id=339.
- "Alaska Native Collections." (Accessed August 18, 2020): Smithsonian Institution, https://alaska.si.edu. https://alaska.si.edu/record.asp?id=339.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BEFGK" and [Object]Century is "19th century" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Thule, Arctic, Alaskan, North American".View current selection of records as: