Small Carved Seal Head Figurine19th century
Likely Walrus Ivory
1.063 x 0.813 x 1.375 in. (2.699 x 2.064 x 3.493 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2019.33.84
Other Number(s): Inuit_Ivory.84 (Temporary Number)
Geography: North and Central America, Canada or United States
Culture/Nationality: Arctic, North American
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- seals - General term for any of 32 species of web-footed aquatic mammals that live chiefly in cold seas and whose body shape, round at the middle and tapered at the ends, is adapted to swift and graceful swimming. There are two types of animals often called by this term: the earless, or true, seals (family Phocidae); and the eared seals (family Otariidae), which comprise the sea lions and fur seals.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- Object Dimensions: 1.063 x 0.813 x 1.375 in. (2.699 x 2.064 x 3.493 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BEIOL" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Arctic, North American" and [Object]Century is "19th century".View current selection of records as: