Dibul Kouan (Beaded Apron)1960-1980
10 1/4 in. x 29 1/4 in. (26.04 cm x 74.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beading - Trimming, furnishing, adorning, or covering textiles or objects with beads, or creating jewelry by stringing beads.
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- cache-sexe - Main garments worn by women, primarily in Africa, to cover the genitals, often consisting of pendant elements made of metal or vegetal matter that hang from a cord tied around the waist or hips; may also be made of cloth and some element may pass between the legs.
- Cameroonian - Style and culture of the nation of Cameroon, lying at the junction of western and central Africa.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Worlds to Discover: 125 Years of Collections at Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Sep 24, 2010 – May 28, 2011
- African and Pacific Art from the Neufeld Collection Bryn Mawr College , Apr 28, 1993 – Jun 1, 1993
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- John Gillow, African Textiles: Color and Creativity Across a Continent (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 2016), 204.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- John Gillow, African Textiles: Color and Creativity Across a Continent (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 2016), 204-205.
- Michael Oehrl, "Girding the Loins of the Kirdi." HALI Magazine 181 (Autumn 2014): HALI, Lonon, England. 74-79.
- Michael Oehrl, "Original oder Fälschung: Perlenschurze der Kirdi (Nord-Kamerun) – bis zum Ende der deutschen Kolonialzeit eine Seltenheit." Kunst&Kontext: Außereuropäische Kunst und Kultur im Dialog no. 13 (2017): http://www.kunst-und-kontext.de. http://www.kunst-und-kontext.de/texte/kk13.pdf.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BGIEG" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Tikar, Cameroonian, Central African, African".View current selection of records as: