3 in. (7.62 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- seals - Objects bearing designs, emblems, letters, names, words, etc. in intaglio that are used for stamping a flat surface or for making an impression in relief on some soft, tenacious substance such as clay or wax. They may be flat or cylindrical, the impression made by rolling the seal over the surface. Seals may be used to authenticate documents or for decoration.
- stone - General term for rock that has been cut, shaped, crushed, or otherwise formed for use in construction or other purposes. Includes the specific archaeological and anthropological sense of individual stones which may be decorated or ornamented and which may be used in ritual contexts. These are usually not carved or dressed, and so differ from sculptures made from stone.
- An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Apr 23, 2002 – May 20, 2002
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BGYTD" and [Object]Country of Creation is "China" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is ".View current selection of records as: