Side-blown Trumpet with Lizard Imagery20th century
Horn or Ivory
15.39 x 2.17 x 2.17 in. (39.091 x 5.512 x 5.512 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.98
Geography: Africa, Liberia
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Musical Instruments & Sound-making Implements
Culture/Nationality: Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- ivory - The modified form of dentin derived from animal teeth. The most common example is from the tusks of mature elephants; similar material is obtained from any tusked or large-toothed mammal such as a walrus or narwhal.
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- Sauria - Members of a suborder containing nearly 4,450 species of reptiles having a single temporal opening lying above the bar formed by postorbital and squamosal bones, a pectoral girdle and interorbital septum always present, well-eveloped male copulatory organs (hemipenes) and saclike ovaries in females, often an elongated body, a long tail, four legs, and a scaly or granulated hide. The classification of lizards and other reptiles is in flux.
- side-blown trumpets - Trumpets in which the mouthhole is located on the side, as opposed to the end.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. http://educators.mfa.org/musical-instruments/side-blown-trumpet-30139, Figure Number: Accession No.: 17.1960.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGXZ".View current selection of records as: