Small Carved Seal Toggle20th century
0.875 x 0.75 x 1.875 in. (2.223 x 1.905 x 4.763 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ivory - The modified form of dentin derived from animal teeth. The most common example is from the tusks of mature elephants; similar material is obtained from any tusked or large-toothed mammal such as a walrus or narwhal.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- seals - General term for any of 32 species of web-footed aquatic mammals that live chiefly in cold seas and whose body shape, round at the middle and tapered at the ends, is adapted to swift and graceful swimming. There are two types of animals often called by this term: the earless, or true, seals (family Phocidae); and the eared seals (family Otariidae), which comprise the sea lions and fur seals.
- toggles - Rodlike buttons of wood or other material, attached to cord, leather, or chain loops and designed to be passed through another loop as a fastener on a garment.
- Object Dimensions: 0.875 x 0.75 x 1.875 in. (2.223 x 1.905 x 4.763 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGXZ".View current selection of records as: