Ivory Figure19th century - 20th century
3.15 x 1.575 x 1.563 in. (8 x 4 x 3.969 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carving - The act of shaping, marking, or decorating wood, stone, or another material by cutting or incising, typically using tools such as chisels and other blades. It refers to this process as it is applied to small-scale objects or to objects that are not considered art. "Carving" may also be considered a sculpture technique that is employed in the creation of art.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- ivory - The modified form of dentin derived from animal teeth. The most common example is from the tusks of mature elephants; similar material is obtained from any tusked or large-toothed mammal such as a walrus or narwhal.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- sacred objects - Broadly, ceremonial objects that retain their sacredness in their present context. Sometimes defined more narrowly as only those needed by a present-day culture to practice their religion. For objects that are used primarily for a religious ceremony or function, but are not necessarily in themselves considered sacred, use "religious objects."
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
Owner Name: Barry A. Kitnick; Gallery K
Role: Dealer or Collector
Place: Los Angeles, California, US
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 268
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0025777.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Fowler Museum at UCLA Online Collections." (Accessed April 7, 2020): https://www.fowler.ucla.edu/collections/home/. Accession No.: X2007-21-50.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGXZ".View current selection of records as: