Small Carved Otter FigurineSecond half 20th century
3.813 x 0.938 x 1.313 in. (9.684 x 2.381 x 3.334 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- figurines - Three-dimensional works that represent humans, animals, or mythical beasts at less than half life-size. While the term may be used interchangeably with "statuette" in certain situations, it differs in that a statuette is always free-standing while a figurine may be part of a larger work, such as a decorative detail on a candelabra or mirror.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
- Yup'ik - Refers to the culture of the Yup'ik, a Western Eskimo group of Siberian Asia and of Saint Lawrence Island and the Diomede Islands in the Bering Sea and Strait. The Yup'ik are culturally related to the Chukchi.
- Object Dimensions: 3.813 x 0.938 x 1.313 in. (9.684 x 2.381 x 3.334 cm)
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Alaskan Eskimo Carvers of Gambell." (Accessed August 18, 2020): Indian Arts and Crafts Board, https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/alaska_eskimo_carvers_of_gambell_doi_sept_30_1982-compressed.pdf. Cover, Figure Number: 2.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGYL" and [Object]Country of Creation is "United States".View current selection of records as: