Harpoon Head19th century
Greatest Preserved Dimensions
0.75 x 0.438 x 3.813 in. (1.905 x 1.111 x 9.684 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- harpoons - Hunting weapons consisting of a fixed or detachable barbed head mounted on a staff, thrown by hand or fired from a harpoon gun, used against large fish and marine mammals.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
- Greatest Preserved Dimensions Dimensions: 0.75 x 0.438 x 3.813 in. (1.905 x 1.111 x 9.684 cm)
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Eskimo Art." (Accessed August 17, 2020): Eskimo Art, http://eskimo-art.org/site/. http://eskimo-art.org/pdfs/harpoon-heads.pdf.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Smithsonian Institution Online Collections Database." (Accessed August 18, 2020): Smithsonian Institute, collections.si.edu. Accession No.: 096521, Figure Number: https://collections.nmnh.si.edu/search/anth/?ark=ark:/65665/3068c28d190964937980b5f7cc8e94748.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGYL" and [Object]Country of Creation is "United States".View current selection of records as: