Carved Harpoon Point19th century
3.563 x 0.813 x 1.25 in. (9.05 x 2.064 x 3.175 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- harpoons - Hunting weapons consisting of a fixed or detachable barbed head mounted on a staff, thrown by hand or fired from a harpoon gun, used against large fish and marine mammals.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- pigment - Any relatively insoluble organic, inorganic, natural or artificial substance that imparts a color to another substance or mixture and always appears as the same specific color when viewed in white light. It is the constituent of paint or ink that provides the color. Distinguished from a dye, which is soluble in the vehicle, a pigment is insoluble in the vehicle, but instead is held in a suspension.
- projectile points - Pieces of hard material, typically stone or metal, sharpened to have a cutting edge or penetrating point for use as projectiles or the heads of projectile weapons.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
- Object Dimensions: 3.563 x 0.813 x 1.25 in. (9.05 x 2.064 x 3.175 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGYL" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Arctic".View current selection of records as: