Model Dog Sled with Driver and Eight Dogs20th century
Walrus Ivory, Hide, Pigment
2.188 x 25.75 x 14.25 in. (5.556 x 65.405 x 36.195 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2019.33.201
Other Number(s): Inuit_Ivory.201 (Temporary Number)
Geography: North and Central America, Canada or United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Sculptures
Culture/Nationality: Arctic, North American
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- dogsleds - Runnered vehicles pulled by dogs, especially those used by various Arctic peoples. For similar runnered vehicles operated by hand or by gravity, use "sleds."
- hide - Integument of a large animal such as a cow or buffalo separated from the body with or without hair, whether green, dry, tanned, or dressed. For the integument of a small animal, use "skin." For tanned hide, use "leather."
- model - Something that serves as an ideal, a pattern to follow or copy, or source of inspiration to a creator.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- pigment - Any relatively insoluble organic, inorganic, natural or artificial substance that imparts a color to another substance or mixture and always appears as the same specific color when viewed in white light. It is the constituent of paint or ink that provides the color. Distinguished from a dye, which is soluble in the vehicle, a pigment is insoluble in the vehicle, but instead is held in a suspension.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- Object Dimensions: 2.188 x 25.75 x 14.25 in. (5.556 x 65.405 x 36.195 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHGYL" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Arctic".View current selection of records as: