unknown Kuba (Congolese)
Nkody Mupaap (Belt Pendant or Ornament) from Kuba Judge's Regalia19th century - 20th century
13/16 in. x 5 1/2 in. x 20 1/2 in. (2 cm x 14 cm x 52 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Central African - Nationality, styles, and culture of the people of the nation of the République centrafricaine.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- cowrie shell - Shell of any of numerous marine gastropod mollusks of a family widely distributed in warm seas; beautifully polished, often brightly colored, and much used for ornament or as money.
- Kuba - Describes works created by the African people of the same name living in the central Democratic Republic of Congo.
- pendants - Any fixed hanging architectural ornaments.
- regalia - Emblems, symbols, or paraphernalia indicative of a royal state or of an office or membership in a group.
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 238
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No:.2003.139.4.
- "Bonhams." (Accessed June 3, 2020): Bonhams.com. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20065/lot/197/.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Joanne Glazer, "The Social and Political Implications of the Kuba Cloths from Zaire." Dissertation (November 1996): University of South Africa, http://uir.unisa.ac.za/bitstream/handle/10500/16851/dissertation_glazer_j.pdf%3Bjsessionid%3DD456E6FFF7A25E03A29644323F59E6E2?sequence%3D1. 142.
- Joseph Cornet, "The Itul Celebration of the Kuba." African Arts 13, no. 3 (May 1980): 28-33, 92.
- Joseph Cornet, Art Royal Kuba (Milano: Edizioni Sipiel, 1982), 199-200. Figure Number: 225
Ilondo (Sword) from Kuba Judge's Regalia
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHHCS" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Adornments".View current selection of records as: