Shell and mother of pearl
2 23/32 x 1 3/16 x 5/32 in. (6.9 x 3 x 0.4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 70.31.170
Other Number(s): 22846 (The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Number)
Geography: North and Central America, United States, Possibly Mississippi
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Adornments
Culture/Nationality: Native American
Collection: William S. Vaux Collection of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
This object has the following keywords:
adornments, mother of pearl*, Native American*, North American*, ornaments*, shell*, Southeastern Native American styles*
- mother of pearl - Hard, pearly, iridescent internal layer of various kinds of mollusk shell, extensively used for making small articles and inlays.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- ornaments - Decorative forms or embellishments that are an integral part of a building or object but are not essential to its structure. Refers also to decorative objects attached to or worn by humans and animals. For objects signifying an honor bestowed upon an individual, usually worn on the person, see "decorations." Regarding techniques of embellishment in general, see "decoration (process)."
- shell - Hard outer covering of invertebrate creatures, composed of calcareous or chitinous material.
- Southeastern Native American styles - Styles belonging to Southeastern Native American cultures.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHHEN" and [Object]Display Artist is ".View current selection of records as: