Wood and lacquer
2 1/2 in. x 2 1/2 in. (circumference) (6.35 cm x 6.35 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2005.6.35.a-e
Geography: Asia, Japan
Collection: Elizabeth Gray Vining '23 Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- lacquer - Paint, varnish, or another material applied by coating, made of the resinous exudation of certain trees or from insects, and that dries with a high gloss or matte finish. In most lacquers resin is dissolved in a volatile solvent or a drying oil and hardens by evaporation. Lacquer may be applied in many layers, so the thick surface may be set with inlays or carved.
- tea caddies - Relatively small, covered containers for dry tea used on a tea table or other surface, in conjunction with a teapot and a kettle.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- The Way of Tea--A Taste of Japanese Art: Gifts from the Imperial Family Bryn Mawr College , May 11, 2007 – Aug 15, 2007
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHQVB".View current selection of records as: