Amitabha Buddha in Lotus World
87 x 36 in. (220.98 x 91.44 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- color - Refers to pigment in a medium, such as ink, water, or oil. A common example is in referring to the media of Asian art (e.g., "ink and color on paper").
- paintings - Unique works in which images are formed primarily by the direct application of pigments suspended in oil, water, egg yolk, molten wax, or other liquid, arranged in masses of color, onto a generally two-dimensional surface.
- scroll paintings - Refers to paintings having a long, narrow scroll format. Term is often used in the context of Chinese and Japanese paintings on either hanging scrolls (kakemono, if Japanese) or on handscrolls (emakimono, if Japanese). For written documents on long, rolled strips, see "scrolls (information artifacts)."
- silk - Textile made from silk fiber, which is a fiber derived from the cocoon of the silkworm moth.
- Taoism - Religion and philosophical tradition originating in China, generally emphasizing individual freedom and spontaneity, laissez-faire government and social primitivism, techniques of self-transformation, mystical experience, and individual and government ethical responsibility. It is founded on the texts of the Tao-te Ching, Chuang-tzu, and Lieh-tzu. Later, the tradition diverged, resulting in strictly philosophical Taoism on the one hand, and religious Taoism on the other. The governing principle of the latter is the struggle to reach a state of 'immortality' through a strict regimen of dietary restrictions, breath control, meditation and visualization of the gods that inhabit the body, sexual control and discipline, the practice of theoretical internal alchemy (nei-tan) used to energize the Yin and Yang forces within the body, and the use of magic talismans. Successful devotees were known as hsien (Immortals).
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BHTIO".View current selection of records as: