Giovanni Battista Piranesi
Italian (1720 - 1778) Primary
Veduta dell'Arco di Tito1771 - 1772
Etching on wove paper
18 5/8 in. x 27 7/8 in. (47.31 cm x 70.8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1999.10.1
Geography: Europe, Italy
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
This object has the following keywords:
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- Italian - Refers to the culture of the modern nation of Italy, or in general to cultures that have occupied the boot-shaped Italian peninsula in the Mediterranean Sea.
- triumphal arches - Monumental structures containing at least one arched passageway and erected to honor an important person or to commemorate a significant event, particularly a victory in war. The basic form consisted of two piers connected by an arch, over which was placed a superstructure that served as a base for statues and bore commemorative inscriptions. Triumphal arches generally spanned a roadway used for triumphal processions. They are associated with ancient Roman architecture, however, they possibly developed elsewhere or from the Porta Triumphalis, which was a gate in Rome through which the victorious Roman army had to pass before entering the sacred city territory of Rome. "Arco onorario destinato a commemorare una vittoria militare. Nelle basiliche cristiane indica l'arco che divide la navata dal transetto o dal presbiterio."
- Plate Dimensions: 18 5/8 x 27 7/8 in. (47.308 x 70.803 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BJPNK" and [Object]Display Artist is "Giovanni Battista Piranesi".View current selection of records as: