Italian (1727 - 1803) Primary
Charles Louis Clérisseau
French (1722 - 1820) Secondary
Arch of Trajan at BeneventumMid-18th centurty - late 18th century
Etching on wove paper
17 1/2 in. x 23 in. (44.45 cm x 58.42 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: X.49
Geography: Europe, Italy
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Culture/Nationality: Italian/ French / British
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- nuc87-57692: Omaggio a Raffaello Sanzio, 1483-1520, c1983
- Musei capitolini (Rome, Italy). Del Museo capitolino, 1741-82: plate signed (D. Cunego)
- Benezit, 1999
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- triumphal arches - Monumental structures containing at least one arched passageway and erected to honor an important person or to commemorate a significant event, particularly a victory in war. The basic form consisted of two piers connected by an arch, over which was placed a superstructure that served as a base for statues and bore commemorative inscriptions. Triumphal arches generally spanned a roadway used for triumphal processions. They are associated with ancient Roman architecture, however, they possibly developed elsewhere or from the Porta Triumphalis, which was a gate in Rome through which the victorious Roman army had to pass before entering the sacred city territory of Rome. "Arco onorario destinato a commemorare una vittoria militare. Nelle basiliche cristiane indica l'arco che divide la navata dal transetto o dal presbiterio."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- Sheet Dimensions: 17 1/2 x 23 in. (44.45 x 58.42 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BJPNK".View current selection of records as: