Akala (Tire Sandals)Likely 2000 - 2004
Tire rubber, metal, and beads
11 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in. x 3 in. (29.21 cm x 8.89 cm x 7.62 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2005.7.5
Geography: Africa, Kenya, Narok County, Lake Victoria Region
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Clothing; Footwear
Culture/Nationality: Maasai, Kenyan, East African, African
Collection: Hawkins Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
adaptive reuse*, African*, East African*, footwear*, Kenyan*, Maasai, recycling*, sandals*, shoes*, tires*
- adaptive reuse - The conversion of outmoded or unused things, often things having historic value, to new uses or application in new contexts. Examples include reuse of buildings, objects, software, etc.
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- East African - Styles and cultures of the eastern area of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, that together with the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia) make up Eastern Africa.
- footwear - Coverings for the feet that sometimes extend above the ankle; generally made of durable materials. Distinguished from "hosiery," which is primarily leg coverings.
- Kenyan - Style and culture of Kenya.
- recycling - Recovery and reuse of materials and energy from waste.
- sandals - Shoes consisting essentially of a sole fastened to the foot by straps, strips, or cords.
- shoes - Footwear with a relatively stiff sole and heel, and generally covering the foot at or below the ankle joint.
- tires - Rubber cushions, usually filled with compressed air, which fit around the wheels of a vehicle.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Akala: Kenyan Tread Art Kirsten Hawkins , Jan 1, 2005 – Jun 1, 2005
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Akala: Africa I Blog You." (Accessed April 12, 2020): https://africaiblogyou.wordpress.com/tag/akala/.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BMUNK".View current selection of records as: