Bowl with Fruit and Maize Imagery100 BCE - 750 CE
4 5/16 in. x 7 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (11 cm x 19 cm x 19 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 69.1.268
Other Number(s): N83 or D9/83 (Canaday No.)
Geography: South America, Peru
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Culture/Nationality: Nasca, Peruvian, South American
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- fruit - Portions of a plant consisting of the seed and its envelope, especially the latter when it is of a juicy, pulpy nature. In its strict botanical sense, the fleshy or dry ripened ovary of a plant, enclosing the seed or seeds, such as apricots, bananas, and grapes, as well as bean pods, corn grains, tomatoes, cucumbers, and (in their shells) acorns and almonds, are all technically fruits. Popularly, however, the term is restricted to the ripened ovaries that are sweet and either succulent or pulpy. The cultivation and processing of fruits are major industries worldwide.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BNCBW".View current selection of records as: