American (1871 - 1951) Primary
Turning Out the Light1905
4 7/8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (12.38 cm x 17.15 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.146.a
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: Sloan illuminates an intimate bedroom scene in Turning out the Light. The lamp casts its bright, round glow on the comfortably rumpled bedding and on the clothes hanging on the chair. The man is just outside the light’s reach, in softly defined shadow. The woman reaches for the light switch, preserving the scene’s intimacy by extinguishing the light.
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bedrooms - Rooms designed for or used to contain a bed or beds for sleeping.
- beds - Generally, the sleeping places of humans and animals. Specifically, permanent pieces of furniture comprised of a bedstead, which is the wooden or metal support, and the bedding, including the mattress and cover.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- gas lamps - Lamps fitted with gas burners.
- men - Refers to male human beings from young adulthood through old age.
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- The Illuminated Night Bryn Mawr College , Nov 15, 2019 – Dec 20, 2019
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 4 7/8 x 6 3/4 in. (12.383 x 17.145 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 143-144. Figure Number: 134
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Turning Out the Light
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BNSUS" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "American".View current selection of records as: